If you are planning to build a custom home, it has likely been a dream for many years. You have every detail worked out in your mind about how the house will look when it is finished. The reality is very few projects go as planned, and you should consider hiring someone to manage the job. The experts at Alair Homes explain the advantages of this approach.
What is a Project Manager?
Also known as a construction manager, this person oversees the entire project from start to finish. The manager will help you to select the features you want and hire the subcontractors needed to install them. This individual is also the main contact for you, the contractors and the suppliers and will assist you in keeping the job on time and on budget.
The manager will wear many hats and the specific duties will vary from job to job. The most common responsibilities are the following:
- Coordinating the design of the home and assisting when needed
- Keeping track of all of the necessary paperwork and obtaining the required permits
- Overseeing the bidding process and hiring the needed subcontractors
- Supervising workers at all stages of the project
- Ensuring that inventory is tracked and all building materials are ordered in a timely manner
- Making sure that all work is done to local codes and every phase of the build passes inspection
- Giving direction to the lending inspections and mortgage processes
Your Relationship with the Manager
The project manager will take you on tours around the job site of your home as it is being constructed. This person will also answer the questions you have regarding the job and its various processes. Anything that is concerning or requires attention will be mentioned to you directly by the manager.
Other Benefits of Using a Manager
The biggest advantage to hiring a manager for your home build is the years of experience this person will bring to the project. Managers are licensed contractors who have worked on many jobs both large and small. These individuals understand all of the details that go into building a custom home and have what it takes to make your dream come true. They will also be able to handle the delays and other problems that often arise with such a large endeavor.
Designing, planning and building a custom home is one of biggest investments of your life. While you may think that you can do the job yourself, it is best practice to hire a project manager to help you see the project through to its completion and ensure an optimal outcome.